Friday 17 May 2013

My Space Adventure


Ever since Star Trek NG, there hadn’t been any good Syfy shows on TV except, maybe Babylon 5.  Then there was Star Trek Enterprise, with Scott Bakula as Capt Johathan Archer.  That was good in the first 2 seasons, but as time went by, the storylines became weaker and weaker.  So it ended without a boom!  My guess is,  Gene Roddenberry wasn’t around to provide good scripts for the show!  The show ran from 2001 to 2005, and Roddenberry went to Space Heaven in 1991!

Andromeda came about in 2000 and stayed for 5 seasons with Kevin Sorbo (the former Hercules) playing Capt Dylan Hunt.  Of course, Sorbo was good as the Captain.  But what a drag!  The space ship was run by him and a few of his crew members who dressed themselves as a high school rock band!  After about 2 seasons, I simply dropped it.

I wasn’t any fan for Battlestar Galactica, the series, old or new.  The original movie was good.  In fact, the original movie was too good that whatever stories that ensued on TV were too pale to compare to its predecessor.

So I spent most of my time watching Stargate SG-1 with Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping.  For 10 seasons!  Not bad at all.  But the spin-off series such as Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe were not the same without Anderson.

Now there is Defiance, premiered April 15, 2013.  I only started to watch episode 5 the other day and found it intriguing.  Thus, I went to the Showcase website and finally caught up with all the previous episodes.  I think the pilot was done  badly for it never explained how and why the aliens and humans came to live together in Defiance.  So much history was not accounted for!  They can’t expect all of us know its history before watching the show? 

Because the pilot was so badly done with a lot being unexplained, it made you want to find out more.  So people will tune in again for the second episode, and the third, and …   Suddenly there’s a Romeo and Juliet situation, and then the old fashioned conflict between a father and son, and the love and hate between two sisters…   Cliché, cliché, cliché…  Yet people will still want to see more…

Also, the show was supposed to base on the MMO video game with the same name.  However, the storylines are so different between the game and the show, except for the names of a few characters that appeared both in the game and on the show.

By watching Star Trek for so many years, I have already familiarized myself with names of different species and races such as the Ferengi, Bajorans, Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Cardassians, etc.  Now with Defiance, I’ll have to learn to know names such as the Votans, the Castithans, the Aranthients, and so on and so forth…

After reading the above, you must think I come from another planet.  And maybe I did.  But which planet did I come from?  Let me see…I can’t seem to recall…  My memories must have been erased!  By humans?

No comments:

Post a Comment